Nouns for Art Direction, Graphic Design and Copywriting
5,000 familiar ingredients for brainstorming fresh and surprising creative ideas
- Brainstorming ideas for mind mapping techniques
- Less time on research – more time on creative
- Designed by creative director Stuart Flynn – Sunshine Design
- Develop & execute concepts more efficiently
- Practical word association tool for creative ideas
- Mix, match and combine common nouns for new solutions
- Use analogy to illustrate ideas as per above
- Discover obvious and obscure visual relationships
- Expand on existing strategies and ‘first thoughts’
- Print individual pages as required for briefs and mind mapping sessions.
“To sell something familiar, make it surprising. To sell something surprising, make it familiar.”
What is Extreme nouns – Ingredients for Advertising Ideas?
‘Extreme nouns’ is a printable ebook that will save you time in research and increase your productivity.
A quick reference for early brainstorming and expanding on ideas. This allows you more time for creativity!
The pages are made of lists of nouns. They are indexed by extreme categories. ‘Biggest Smallest’, ‘Longest Shortest’.
The book was designed to help creative thinkers speed up the brainstorming process and was inspired by a student of an advertising course in Sydney Australia. He was frustrated that thousand of students were spending hours creating brainstorming lists when there was no tangible resource on the internet.
Stuart Flynn – the author, is now a creative director at Sunshine Design – Australia and has sold thousands of copies of the 2012 version of this book. The next version is in development.
This site allows people to explore individual pages from the book and use the site as a source of inspiration.
A unique list of common nouns
We communicate fresh ideas by building on what we know. This is done by comparing something new to something recognized.
Extreme nouns are the recognized visual word associations we need for new ideas—a tangible brainstorming reference for the creative industry to help with such techniques as mind mapping. The book contains common nouns lists and their opposites, Indexed by Extreme emotions, advertising strategy and product types.